The Fire Alarm Installation Technician is responsible for the installation and configuration of fire alarm systems in commercial buildings.
Essential Job Functions:
- Install and program all types of suppression and alarm systems.
- Follow up on projects and questions promptly, provide businesslike replies to inquiries and requests and perform all duties in an orderly manner.
- Installation skill set to include retrofit or new construction projects
- Provide routine service when assigned including installing or replacing detectors, installing or changing intelligent (SLC) loops, installing or replacing initiation & Indicating devices, such as manual pull stations, smoke detectors, Horn Strobes, Speaker strobes, etc. Perform panel replacements when needed.
- Perform routine maintenance and inspection of engineered systems.
- Install and commission Fire Alarm & Suppression Control panels and associated equipment, terminal cabinets, remote power supplies, amplifiers, annunciators, etc.
- Read/follow CAD drawings, electrical layouts, & mounting heights per building plans in bidding stage, & shop drawing stage. Perform red line drawing updates on shop drawings during installation for final as-built drawing creation.
- Able to determine materials required for jobs including wire & wire gauge type per circuit & load calculation demands. Able to select and install conduit, such as EMT, MC, rigid, wire mold, etc.
- Ability to wire systems according to NEC & NFPA standards including feeding wires/cables through access holes, roof spaces, and cavity walls to reach appliances. Identify improper wiring pathways on drawings and make changes in the field. Red line for as built.
- Adjust sensitivity of smoke detectors based on room structures and manufacturer’s recommendations using programmable keypads, laptops and factory tools.
- Keep informed of new products and developments. Attend in-house training sessions and manufacturers’ training as assigned and/or required.
- Accurately complete and return all field paperwork on time.
- Be available for occasional off-hour emergency service calls and the on-call schedule if assigned.
- Report all accidents, mishaps and/or customer complaints immediately.
- Keep company issued vehicle clean, neat, and organized.
- Work cooperatively with other departments within the company and with fellow coworkers.
- Interface with customers to address their concerns in a knowledgeable and respectful manner.
- Provide accurate and complete information on reports and quotes.
- Manage time including time on the job as well as time on road to job sites.
- Return all tools, equipment and unused products and materials along with the appropriate paperwork to the warehouse upon the completion of the job.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Demonstrate integrity, honesty
- Mechanical skills and aptitude
- Proficient in basic computer skills
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal). Able to interact with all levels being served
- Represent the company in a professional, credible manner in speech, written communications and appearance
- Able to adapt behavior to different people and situations. Be flexible by adjusting interpersonal approaches appropriate to the manager/employee
- Required: High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Required: Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record
- Required: 3 - 5 years related experience
- Preferred: Advanced Technical School Training in low voltage electricity
- Required: NICET Level 2 Certification
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
- Regular and Timely Attendance
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time (up to 4 hours) without a break
- Position requires bending, twisting, stooping, climbing
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds frequently and up to 100 pounds occasionally
- Position requires pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds frequently and 40 pounds occasionally
- May be exposed to temperature changes, heights, small spaces including confined spaces
- Ability to distinguish colors and use hands for repetitive fine manipulation frequently
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus
- Must pass initial and random substance abuse tests